Monday, October 22, 2012

A Chair Makeover: Using What You Have

I'm getting ready to cut the legs shorter on my counter-top height dining table. I'm sick of my legs dangling at the dinner table. 

I can not cut the dining height chairs shorter because of the way they are made. So, I'm in need of dining chairs. I'm looking at these for side chairs:




With a budget right now for furniture of around zero fifteen dollars a chair, I decided to work with what I have in the mean time.

So, here is what the previous tenants left at the house.
Yeah, it's pretty dirty and gross.

I used a krylon 18kt paint pen, rustoleum glossy white paint, upholstery fabric in purple and champagne velveteen, and a steam cleaner and came up with:

We are painting the floors black right now and the black bleed through the frog tape onto the base boards. So forgive our mess.
The chair isn't really what I expected. I think I was a little too heavy handed with the gold paint pen, cause I love using that thing! But for my taste I need less gold. So, I'll be painting over the sides of the legs and returning them to their former glory. 

I didn't want to be matchy matchy and purchased a lovely champagne velveteen for the other side chair. Plus, I'm not big on purple. I just wanted to throw in a little fall color.
A tip for ya, don't use the krylon 18 kt gold spray paint over a glossy surface without proper sanding and priming or you will end up with this:
You can safely use the krylon 18 kt gold paint pen over the glossy surface with no prep. It worked perfect for us. If you get a little bit of streaking, just allow the first coat to dry and go over with the pen a second time. That's all you will need to do.

Here is the Krylon 18 kt paint pen in comparison with no prep work:
 They are 2 different colors! The spray paint has a greenish tint to it and the pen, to me, looks richer in person. I'm really just not a fan of the spray paint. The pen on the other hand is amazing! I reallly have to hold myself back from writing all over the walls with it!
That's it. I'll be back with the second chair done and hopefully the purple one updated.

 Don't forget to follow design fluff through email, GFC, or Linky Followers. I've had some emails that some of you didn't know how to follow, most of my followers are through feed burner but I put up GFC today so some of you can follow that way if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment